Elements of discernment
- Know yourself: personality, preferences, talents
- Journaling: write thoughts, feelings, accomplishments, note patterns…
- Spiritual direction: listen and help clarify your life and relationship with God
- Know God
- Prayer: regular/different forms of prayer
- Time: listening, reflecting, noticing
- Decision making process (with faith dimension)
- Gather facts: investigation: information, visit: Vocation directors, criteria, education, affiliation
- Consider alternative: openness/honesty
- Write pros and cons for each alternative
- Project yourself into alternative (effects in 5-10 years)
- Attention to feelings
- Make decision
- Confirmation: affirmation, validation, peace, fit, rightness
- Your Plan: Where am I in each area:
- Do I take time to pray and reflect on this choice?
- Do I journal questions, concerns, experiences?
- Do I have a spiritual director?
- Am I talking to a vocation director/s?
- Do I still need to gather more facts? Visit more groups? Consider more options? In relation to the Claretians, what fits and what does not fit, might fit, will never fit?
- Do I still need to fulfill some requirements educationally?
- What goals will I set for myself? What are my next steps?
- Am I ready to make a decision? If not, what do I still need to do?
Every person has a vocation, a call from God, a call to holiness. More »
Get involved! Get to know the Claretians and let us meet you. More »
Have a question? Ask it here. More »
You can also view our FAQs »
Prayer Life of a Claretian »